[arch-general] Exiting wpa_supplicant

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 23 03:28:57 EDT 2012

Am 23.10.2012 02:42, schrieb Rafael Beraldo:
> That's interesting. Why is that a bad idea? I used to do it by hand,
> waiting for
> wpa_supplicant to stablish a connection and then running dhcp.

You wait for 10 seconds. That is way too long. A wireless connection is
usually established within 3 seconds. Or not.

You wait for 10 seconds. That is way too short. A wireless connection
may take 30 or even 60 seconds to establish.

A wireless connection may go up and down. It may stay down. Or come back
up. You need to react to these changes.

Luckily, dhcpcd can partially handle this these days and you can simply
start dhcpcd without delay, and it will figure out when to request an IP.