[arch-general] Exiting wpa_supplicant

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Tue Oct 23 18:13:08 EDT 2012

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:14:09 +0200
nelsonmarambio at gmx.de wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 09:28:57 +0200
> > Von: "Thomas Bächler" <thomas at archlinux.org>
> > An: arch-general at archlinux.org
> > Betreff: Re: [arch-general] Exiting wpa_supplicant
>
> > Am 23.10.2012 02:42, schrieb Rafael Beraldo:
> > > That's interesting. Why is that a bad idea? I used to do it by hand,
> > > waiting for
> > > wpa_supplicant to stablish a connection and then running dhcp.
> >
> > You wait for 10 seconds. That is way too long. A wireless connection is
> > usually established within 3 seconds. Or not.
> >
> > You wait for 10 seconds. That is way too short. A wireless connection
> > may take 30 or even 60 seconds to establish.
> >
> > A wireless connection may go up and down. It may stay down. Or come back
> > up. You need to react to these changes.
> >

> > Luckily, dhcpcd can partially handle this these days and you can simply
> > start dhcpcd without delay, and it will figure out when to request an IP.
> >

> Hi, Thomas,
>
> the delay of 10 seconds is recommended by the computing centre which
> maintains the university-wide WLAN. Without the delay dhcpcd returns a
> timeout.
>
> Your reasons against wpa_supplicant are conclusive but neither netcfg nor
> wicd (which I would prefer) are supported here. Especially the encryption
> method that I have to configure in wicd is not documented.

Could you please elaborate on this? If your authentication scheme can be
handled with wpa_supplicant, then it is little to no job to implement it in
netcfg... On the flip side, others might benefit from this.

Wicd should be equally trivial to use, but I walked away from it long time
ago...

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D