[arch-general] Filesystem and /etc/shadow

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Oct 25 16:36:21 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Manolo Martínez
<manolo at austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> The update to filesystem-2012.10-2 brings with it a new /etc/shadow.
> This is one of the cases in which inspecting the diff between what I
> have and the .pacnew doesn't give any insight (to clueless users such as
> me). Could anyone provide a summary of what we should change in our
> current /etc/shadow?

Without the diff of the old and the new /etc/shadow I'm not sure
exactly what you are asking.

Have a look in "man 5 shadow", this should hopefully explain what the
difference between the two files are.

Unless something has gone wrong, you should be able to either ignore
or merge the change and it should not make a difference, the reason
/etc/shadow was changed was so that it would be in the correct state
on a fresh install, for existing installs it should not matter.

-t