[arch-general] systemd and local group membership

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Oct 29 08:13:26 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM, F.Gr. <frgroccia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Excerpt from Giorgio Lando's message
> of 2012-10-28T12:29+0100:
>
>> > "Note: Adding your user to groups (optical, audio, scanner, ...)
>> > is not necessary with systemd. It might even break the wanted
>> > functionality if you do so."
>>
>> While I ignore the technical reasons, my scanner does not work if I
>> am not in the scanner group.
>
> Indeed, if I'm not in the optical group, K3b doesn't work. (I'm
> running Xfce, not KDE; I don't know if it is related).

As explained above, you need to check that your user session is
considered active by logind for it to apply the ACL's to your devices.

When it comes to CD burning software there is the additional caveat
that by default the udev rules only apply ACL's (and group ownership)
to the "modern" cdrom device nodes, and not the legacy ones. Depending
on your cdrom software this may or may not be a problem.

As I have filed my cdrom drive together with my telefax, I haven't
tested this stuff myself in quite some time.

-t