[arch-general] ssd

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 30 18:52:07 EDT 2012

[2012-10-29 21:58:01 -0500] Juan Diego Tascón:
> I just got a new laptop with a 25Gb ssd and I was wondering which would be
> best if putting my home directory (minus music and videos) there or and
> arch install (minus pacman pkg cache). I read the ssd related article in
> the wiki and even though it mentions some optimizations and considerations
> it doesn't mention anything regarding this issue.

With a high-quality SSD you do not really need to do anything.

With a generic SSD, you should reduce the number of writes or spread
them out evenly on all sectors. The latter can be achieved by using file
systems such as nilfs2. The former can be achieved by disabling system
logging or making /var/log a tmpfs, and more generally by controlling
write-hogs (think of XDG_CACHE_HOME, ~/.mozilla, etc.).

But of course I cannot tell you as much as all the information many
people have put on the Internet over time on that topic.

--
Gaetan