[arch-general] GNOME 3.6 upgrade / GDM / Removed consolekit

Simon Perry arch at sanxion.net
Wed Oct 31 04:04:08 EDT 2012

Hi all,

After reading the previous discussion on not needing to be in various
groups like audio, optical etc, I decided to remove myself from a bunch
of groups and "do the right thing" after upgrading to GNOME 3.6 earlier.

I removed consolekit once pacman told me it was no longer required by
any package, then culled myself from various groups - the important one
being audio.

When I login via GDM, it seems my "session" isn't active:

% loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID | grep Active
Active=no

Therefore, I'm not added to ACLs for my sound devices and Pulseaudio
fires up using a "Dummy" output.

Not sure what to do here, I've done the following to try and fix it:

- Disabled / re-enabled certain services, I've had systemd running for a
  while and a few things had changed / been updated (e.g. I now have a
  default.target and the display-manager.service whose symlink lives in
  /etc/systemd/system)

- Tried messing around with pam (putting pam_systemd.so in a couple of
  spots).

- Tried searching for documentation on what might be wrong, but most of
  the things I found relate to not using a display manager like GDM and
  just using startx.

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers.

--