[arch-general] How to specify a Type 1 font in .Xresources?

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 10:24:05 EDT 2012

On 31 October 2012 01:11, D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I execute "fc-list : file" (as stated at
>   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration
> )
>
> one of the lines is:
>   /usr/share/fonts/Type1/ufonts.com_ti92pluspc.pfb:
>
> How do I now tell a particular class of xterm to use this font?
>
> In the ~/.Xresources I have a class called "drlog", and so I have a line that
> starts:
>
> ----
> drlog*VT100*font:
> ----
>
> but what do I put after the colon to force this class to use the font in the
> file /usr/share/fonts/Type1/ufonts.com_ti92pluspc.pfb?

There are two types of font systems in Linux/X11. So the answer
depends on what application you need it for.

One is the old style X11 (core) fonts - rarely used nowdays. You get a
list of those fonts with xlsfonts. You'll get an ugly string like:
-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--0-0-75-75-c-0-iso8859-1 which is
the font identifier.

XFT/Fontconfig - you get a list of fonts with fc-list. In config files
you ussually specify the font either with "DejaVu Sans 10" or in some
apps "xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:pixelsize=14"
depends on the application

--
damjan