[arch-general] [Bulk] Re: libsystemd to systemd

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 1 09:46:11 EDT 2012

> more
> > >
> > > You are misunderstanding the sshd example.
> >
> > How? Systemds method would seem more problematic and wasteful to me if
> > you get connections to it a lot.
>
> The example explicitly only deals with the case where you do not get a lot
> of connections. E.g. in a private network.

"And even SSH: as long as nobody wants to contact your machine there is
no need to run it, as long as it is then started on the first
connection. (And admit it, on most machines where sshd might be
listening somebody connects to it only every other month or so.)"

Your just making stuff up now to cover his back, which questions many
of your many baseless responses simply stating I have shown I don't
understand systemd, end of discussion.

It is far less likely that ssh is used behind a firewall and there is
no mention of this, it is a fact that ssh is primarily used to cross
the internet where it will be connected to frequently on any connection
as long as it is set to the recommended default port.

> > Home connections even get many ssh
> > connection attempts
>
> If you have a pubic IP you'd be better off using the regular service and
> not the xinet-style one.
>
> Tom

The point is that much of his spec like bringing linux together and
assumptions are wrong and significant sacrifices for speed bring tiny
speed increases.

Here's another assumption.

"A central part of a system that starts up and maintains services should
be process babysitting: it should watch services. Restart them if they
shut down."

Wrong, few want this feature and respawn and especially baby sitting is
not a central feature of 'services' for an init system.

On single web server this may be desired and a user installs a
small package to do so that has features systemd hasn't and shouldn't
have.

In most cases it isn't true and if you have redundant services as most
do or a secure service, you don't want the service restarted as it may
have been exploited, the restart may even enable the exploit, so another
server will take over instead.

Right, you've got me to waste more time than I wished, so no more.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)