[arch-general] [Bulk] Re: libsystemd to systemd

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 09:06:45 EDT 2012

> > > i highly doubt you, Lennart, or anyone else for that matter has any
> > > real numbers to support anything being said, so please, spare me.
> > >

> > That would be obvious to anyone with any experience. Show me data that
> > says sshd is used more often behind firewalls. Of course it isn't. What
> > data that there are far more remote hosting than local hosting, of
> > course there is, you shouldn't need data to accept this point. Just
> > check your logs. I'd hope that if you run a daemon, you expect someone
> > to connect to it.
> >

> I recently worked for a large international compay who provided security appliances
> to filter web requests,block spam, filter virus', archive email & more but
> these appaliances use ssh clustering where by your company purchases 4 spam & virus filter
> from my old employer all 4 of these appliances are linked via ssh so you only
> need to make changes to 1 of the 4 linked units & these changes are replicated
> VIA SSH & for those wishing to can connect these appliances to my employers
> central server farm in US & one can login to a web based admin console & make changes there
> which again is replicated via ssh. To add to that when a customer reqiures support
> this is provided via ssh.
> my ex-employer are market leaders in these appliance and literally have thousands
> scaretterd accross the globe which i think should prove that ssh is very much in use
> publicly & behind firewalls!

It's also used for temporary remote desktop access to fix windows
boxes enabled when a client loads up similar to log me in. Aside from
ssh is brill, is your point that there may be many connections behind
firewalls too with tunneling and such?

I use ssh behind firewalls too, but in that case it is connected to
many times a day by all users but it is definately a fact that ssh is
mainly used for its primary purpose of crossing the internet safely,
mainly to public facing remote servers.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)