[arch-general] After update package fontconfig causes ldconfig issue

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Sep 8 03:38:14 EDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 09:17 +0200, Laurent Carlier wrote:
> Le samedi 8 septembre 2012 07:23:18 Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
> > When an update today run ldconfig, I noticed that there's something
> > wrong, caused by an update from yesterday.
> >
> > [root at archlinux spinymouse]# ldconfig
> > ldconfig: /usr/lib32/libfontconfig.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the
> > wrong magic bytes at the start.
> >
> > ldconfig: /usr/lib32/libfontconfig.so.1.6.2 is not an ELF file - it has
> > the wrong magic bytes at the start.
> >
> > ldconfig: /usr/lib32/libfontconfig.so is not an ELF file - it has the
> > wrong magic bytes at the start.
> >
> > [root at archlinux spinymouse]# pacman -Qi fontconfig | grep Install\ Date
> > Install Date   : Fri Sep  7 07:18:11 2012
> > [root at archlinux spinymouse]# pacman -Ql fontconfig | grep libfontconfig
> > fontconfig /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so
> > fontconfig /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
> > fontconfig /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1.6.2
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ralf
>
> All these files are from lib32-fontconfig package. And they are all correct:
> $ readelf -h  /usr/lib32/libfontconfig.so.1
> ELF Header:
>   Magic:   7f 45 4c 46 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>   Class:                             ELF32
>   Data:                              2's complement, little endian
>   Version:                           1 (current)
>   OS/ABI:                            UNIX - System V
>   ABI Version:                       0
>   Type:                              DYN (Shared object file)
>   Machine:                           Intel 80386
>   Version:                           0x1
>   Entry point address:               0x45f0
>   Start of program headers:          52 (bytes into file)
>   Start of section headers:          227008 (bytes into file)
>   Flags:                             0x0
>   Size of this header:               52 (bytes)
>   Size of program headers:           32 (bytes)
>   Number of program headers:         7
>   Size of section headers:           40 (bytes)
>   Number of section headers:         27
>   Section header string table index: 26
>

> Something must be rotten on your system.

The only cause for this could be updates. On my Arch those files aren't
from lib32-fontconfig.

[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ readelf -h  /usr/lib32/libfontconfig.so.1
readelf: Error: Unable to read in 0x91f2 bytes of section headers
readelf: Error: Not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the
start
[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi lib32-fontconfig
Name           : lib32-fontconfig
Version        : 2.10.1-1
URL            : None
Licenses       : None
Groups         : None
Provides       : None
Depends On     : None
Optional Deps  : None
Required By    : google-earth  lib32-cairo  lib32-libxft
Conflicts With : None
Replaces       : None
Installed Size :   0.00 KiB
Packager       : None
Architecture   : None
Build Date     : None
Install Date   : None
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : No
Description    : None

[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Ql lib32-fontconfig | grep
libfontconfig
[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Ql fontconfig | grep libfontconfig
fontconfig /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so
fontconfig /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
fontconfig /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1.6.2
[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi fontconfig
Name           : fontconfig
Version        : 2.10.1-2
[snip]

Regards,