[arch-general] amd64 systems and archlinux

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Mon Sep 10 04:12:37 EDT 2012

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012, Curtis Shimamoto wrote:

> On 09/09/12 at 11:15pm, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > I am learning more about my hardware doing an archlinux installation on an
> > amd k8 athelon system.  Apparently grub won't work without use of
> > blocklists and it complains that blocklists are unreliable so cannot embed
> > and for that reason won't install.  Fortunately another boot loader other
> > than grub is available.  I'll try that one later.  Too late tonight to do
> > it.

> > jude <jdashiel at shellworld.net> Adobe fiend for failing to Flash
> >

> Are you trying to install to the mbr of a partition?  If so, this error
> is expected.
>
> See our amazing wiki here:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Install_to_Partition_or_Partitionless_Disk
>

> Regards,
> --
> Curtis Shimamoto
> sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com

jude <jdashiel at shellworld.net>
Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

I had intended to install grub into mbr on /dev/sda1.  I used
--target=i386-pc as provided in the grub-install step and did so with
misgivings since the machine I use is an x86-64 machine.  The only x86-64
target on the arch beginner's guide was for ufi not bios.  A bug like this
in grub were I to write software for my employer would have me fired that
same day.  A software package can't keep track of its files it creates and
it uses is a package with no self-defense capabilities.  Sorry about that,
but some of us started programming when the only thing creating webs were
real spiders and web page developer was a job title that had yet to be
created.