[arch-general] Systemd and time synchronisation problems

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 06:15:39 EDT 2012

Recently I changed permanently to systemd - however I have noticed
that the system clock is out by some minutes just after I have booted
up and see for example:

[mike at lapmike3 ~]$ chronyc tracking
Reference ID    : 178.32.55.58 (gateway.omega.org.uk)
Stratum         : 3
Ref time (UTC)  : Tue Sep 11 10:03:20 2012
System time     : 158.888610840 seconds fast of NTP time
Frequency       : 5.454 ppm fast
Residual freq   : -1.577 ppm
Skew            : 13.260 ppm
Root delay      : 0.062475 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.029119 seconds

I would not mind a second or two out - but 158 seconds is not
acceptable - and if I reboot then the clock is immediately out by the
same amount until it eventually re-syncs after quite a long time (10s
of minutes!)

I thought I would check the hardware clock but :

[root at lapmike3 ~]# hwclock -r
hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
hwclock: Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for
an access method.

I had originally set up chrony which does eventually after some time
get the system clock back in sync - I do have dumponexit in my
/etc/chrony.conf but presume somewhere along the way in the transition
from iniscripts there is a configuration error?

I have in my /etc/adjtime:

0.000000 0 0.000000
0
UTC

I am running KDE - and until the system clock is re-synced it is quite
a bit off - this presumable also means that mail time stamps will be
wrong until the clock resets properly -

I have looked at the chrony and systemd arch wiki entries but I can't
find a way to get this sorted out - can anyone help out?

Thanks

--
mike c