[arch-general] amd64 systems and archlinux

Kyle kyle at gmx.ca
Tue Sep 11 12:25:22 EDT 2012

According to Ralf Mardorf:
> I'm still using grub legacy on my machine. Is there a reason not to use
> grub legacy anymore? I also used grub2, but I don't like it. I never
> used any other bootloader on a PC.
> I never noticed any drawbacks using grub legacy.
If you are planning to keep your bootloader installation the same, and
if you don't plan to change your disk configuration or /boot filesystem,
grub legacy should meet your needs with no problems at all. You already
have what you need, it just isn't being updated in the repos.

The reasons for using syslinux or grub2 include better support for /boot
filesystems including btrfs as well as GPT and EFI support. If these or
other features don't matter to you, you can certainly continue using
grub legacy until or unless they do. Hope this helps.
~Kyle