[arch-general] Systemd and time synchronisation problems

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:16:25 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> I guess you need to stop chrony when playing with hwclock. Maybe it is
> enough to just delete adjtime without that command.
>
> Forgot to tell you (but it's probably too late now) to post the first
> line of your /etc/adjtime, this would have told us if we are on the
> right track.

You were right - once I had stopped chrony with systemctl stop chrony
then the hwclock command works.

So I first set the system clock using date +%T -s "18:55:00"

Then hwclock --systohc

Then checked that both the system clock and hardware clock are saying
about the same and then rebooted but left /etc/adjtime in place since
rebooting seemed not to recreate this file!

Now I will wait and see if "chronyc tracking" shows it has resynced in a while.

However a question is where does the hardware clock get
re-synchronised if it drifts out of time over a period unless it is
occasionally resynchronised?

--
mike c