[arch-general] almost got archlinux installed

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue Sep 11 19:47:46 EDT 2012

When I boot the computer with the arch hard drive in it, the system waits
until I hit enter to start talking.  Not a problem since it does talk but
only for a few seconds then espeak turns off.  If I log in very quickly, I
get a root prompt.  If I wait for a few seconds after that then espeak
goes off again.  I did save the state of the sound card with alsactl
before rebooting the system too.  I followed instructions for syslinux and
changed the lines in syslinux.cfg to point at /sda1 rather than sda3 as is
the default too which is why the system comes up as far as it now does.
Does syslinux run some kind of splash screen or screen saver by default
once it starts up?  If so I may need to turn that off and then everything
should be working correctly.  If what I read in syslinux.cfg is correct
users of the beginner's guide ought to be told to link or copy one of
those files from /boot/lib/syslinux into the /boot/syslinux directory I
didn't do that and that may be the cause for all of what is breaking now.
The syslinux-update command is mentioned twice and the first time it's
mentioned in the section on syslinux, it's mentioned too early since the
edits to /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg need to happen before the
syslinux-update command gets run unless that syslinux-update command
actually needs to be run twice for some reason.