[arch-general] SOLVED (sort of): Re: pear/php/module api version mismatch

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Wed Sep 12 01:00:42 EDT 2012

On 09/11/2012 06:42 PM, Simon Perry wrote:

> FWIW, I picked one of your modules at random, and "pear install" told me
> to use "pecl install uploadprogress", and it worked fine.

An initial major problem was in the final line of that mess, the one
that said, "PHP Fatal error:  Directive 'allow_call_time_pass_reference'
is no longer available in PHP in Unknown on line 0." This turns out to
be a directive in php.ini. Commenting that out helped considerably and
enabled me to install horde.

A fair amount of the rest of this seems to have been that I needed to
use pecl rather than pear to deinstall and reinstall these modules. A
couple of them (notably memcache) I had to build by hand since pecl
install failed. And a couple of them still wouldn't build even then, so
they remain commented out in php.ini.

So I was misled by pear producing the errors and, apparently because I
already had these modules installed, nothing was telling me I needed to
use pecl instead. A convenient way of knowing when I should be using
pecl and when I should be using pear would be really nice; this part is
just plain ugly, and I'm venturing a high confidence guess that I'm not
the first to complain.

Finally, if I ever figure out how to get horde working properly, it will
probably be a miracle.

Thanks!