[arch-general] syslinux material in beginner's guide

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Sep 14 10:21:57 EDT 2012

Am 14.09.2012 16:10, schrieb David J. Haines:
> You always want to mount root read-only until such time as the system
> itself remounts read-write. This is by design. IIRC, it's related to the
> fact that you can't fsck a disk mounted read-write, thus the "-R" option
> for fsck.

As far as I can see, this is entirely obsolete today.

By default, the root file system is fsck'ed in initramfs before it is
even mounted, and the fsck during boot is then skipped. ("By default"
means that mkinitcpio now has the 'fsck' hook enabled by default -
unless you changed it yourself, this doesn't apply to old installations.)

With this scheme, I see no reason why the 'ro' is necessary.