[arch-general] / mounted ro after update

Andy Pieters Pieters.Andy.Mailing at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 12:10:15 EDT 2012

Hi

Pete

On 15 September 2012 13:02, P .NIKOLIC <p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 22:29:02 +0530
> Aurko Roy <roy.aurko at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hints please where to look i have compared this system to the laptop
>> > and can see no major differences i have checked the drive it reports
>> > all ok
>> >
>> > Pete .
>
> Humm well still having the same problem i have tried using the older
> version of util-linux to no avail
>
> all disc ID's are correct  so what has been screwed up this was perfect
> until the update  or am i going to be forced to re-install   not an
> option i look forward to
>
> Pete .
Please accept my apologies if this offends you or appears
condescending to you in any way, I have been told by people that they
perceive me as such at time. I assure you I mean no offence.

Now that that is out of the way, let's get down to business.

>From the information you have given so far, you are able to boot up
successfully, right? I do remember a glitch when upgrading a while ago
that caused a similar issue. Until I found the solution, I just added
mount / -orw,rebind in /etc/rc.local

That caused my / partition to be rw as soon as the boot sequence is
completed but still caused my some issues during the daemon start up.
After a while I moved that line to /etc/rc.sysinit so it would execute
before the daemons.

Still a while later I discovered what the problem was, and I think it
was in /etc/fstab, something really obvious, in hind sight but I
cannot recall at the moment. Would you mind attaching your fstab?
Maybe seeing it will trigger my memory.

Andy