[arch-general] Proprietary nvidia driver for different kernels

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Sep 16 14:32:12 EDT 2012

Hi :)

until now I switch between the FLOSS nv driver and the proprietary
nvidia driver at startup, depending to the kernel I boot. IOW I use the
nv driver with kernel-rt and the proprietary with 3.5.3-1-ARCH.

If I try to boot the kernel-rt, I get a black screen.

[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi nvidia | grep Ver
Version        : 304.43-1
[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi nvidia-rt | grep Ver
Version        : 304.43-1
[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi nvidia-utils | grep Ver
Version        : 304.43-1
[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi xf86-video-nv | grep Ver
Version        : 2.1.20-1
[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ grep DAEMONS /etc/rc.conf
# DAEMONS
DAEMONS=(!69switch_xorg.conf hwclock syslog-ng !network !netfs crond
acpid dbus networkmanager rtirq)

Any ideas? The graphics is a GeForce 7200 GS. The nv driver is ok, but I
have to readjust the monitor if I switch from nvidia and soon or later
it will be dropped. The vesa driver won't provide the needed resolution
and noveau