[arch-general] almost got talking arch installed

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Sep 16 17:06:35 EDT 2012

I put the fixes in on /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg and was successful in
First running initcpio -p linux-lts had no problems running and I pointed
everything to linux-lts in /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg.  Then I rebooted
the system.  I let the computer alone for 8 hours then returned and hit
enter to get archlinux talking.  I managed to login as root and was told
the file system was read only.  I checked /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda3 with ls
-al and in both cases got the attribute string back of brw-rw----.  I
replaced the arch disk in the drive sled with a working install of debian
and after boot up checked /dev/sda1 with ls -al and got the attribute
string back of brw-rw---T.  So the latest talking archlinux over here
using syslinux turns out to be installable and unusable at least for the
moment.  Is this salvageable, I don't know this is the first time anything
like that happened in my experience with Linux.  This time, I can't
produce any dmesg output given the state of the disk and probably the boot
process either.