[arch-general] Proprietary nvidia driver for different kernels

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Sep 17 14:40:51 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 19:02 +0100, Leonidas Spyropoulos wrote:
> On 17 Sep 2012 18:46, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> >
> > I don't play computer games.
> > > In any case it's nice to see that a opensource alternative to the
> > > closed nividia driver is available and working better all the time!
> >
> > Unfortunately we only can use it until 21 December 2012 ;D.
> >

> Unfortunately I have to use nvidia drivers for CUDA programming..
>
> I might get a specific card just for the CUDA stuff and still load the
> nouveau for xorg. I don't think its possible with just one GPU, is it?
> Switching from nvidia to nouveau using the scripts in the wiki for now.

I don't know. Btw. I was switching between nv and nvidia for several
distros using a very primitive script:

$ cat /etc/rc.d/69switch_xorg.conf
#! /bin/sh
# /etc/rcS.d/Switch_xorg_conf

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
case $(uname -r) in
    *rt*)
        cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        ;;
    *)
	cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        ;;
esac

At the moment "nv" is for "nouveau".

I didn't know those scrips:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Switching_between_nvidia_and_nouveau_drivers

If I should use those scripts, I guess I would replace pacman -S, by
pacman -U to install always the versions I know as being stable for my
needs. Perhaps I only need nouveau, have no time to test it now, I'll
watch The Simpsons at the moment ... commercial break finished ...

Regards,
Ralf

Regards,
Ralf