[arch-general] / mounted ro after update

P .NIKOLIC p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 19 03:33:19 EDT 2012

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 14:26:32 -0500
"David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/18/2012 03:53 AM, P .NIKOLIC wrote:

> > HUmmmm you got me wondering now that could well be  both partitions
> > that have the problem are ext4  why i did not change them to my more
> > normal XFS i dont know ..
> >
> > I may have to back a lot up and rebuild but this time i will let my
> > normal hate of the entire EXT file system rule and go XFS never been
> > let down there ..
> >
> > Pete .
> >

> Pete,
>
>    I have run Arch on several filesystems and I've been lucky I
> guess. Currently on this box, I have ext3, ext4 and reiser (old SuSE
> 10.0 partition). This box has been running since mid-2009 and updates
> are usually weekly (sometimes I go a couple of weeks if I can't risk
> a break due to workload) I have not had any of the mount ro weirdness
> even after several multi-gigabyte updates. The current partitions I
> have are:
>
> /dev/sdc5 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
> /dev/sdc7 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda2 on /mnt/pv type reiserfs (rw,relatime)
> /dev/sdb2 on /mnt/win type fuseblk
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)
>
>    I don't know what is doing it in your case, but it seems like we
> should be able to figure out where mount ro/rw logic for the resides
> (I picture something like the following buried somewhere):
>
>    if [conditional]; then
>      mount -o rw [whatever]
>    else
>      mount -o ro [whatever]
>    fi
>
>    I suspect this may be complicated by the fact that mounting (or
> remounting) takes place in several different places/processes during
> the boot. Anybody familiar with this off-hand or any idea where Pete
> might look to rule-in or rule-out the different parts of boot that
> could effect this? Sorry I don't have more, I just haven't had the
> need to dissect the boot mount process to that level before...
>
>    I guess you are just lucky :)

Hi David

yes i am torn right now between it being either SATA related  or ext4
related both of which have caused me untold problems before  i have had
2 previous SATA drives die because of the insult of a data connection
causing crossed connections  and ext4 several problems in the old Suse
days  .

The laptop running exactly the same stuff (they are mirrors of each
other) but on XFS  and IDE is perfect

I see a reinstall on the horizon worst luck

Pete .

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.5.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 26 09:14:51 CEST 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux