[arch-general] Wanted: advice dual-booting Arch and Windows 7 on new laptop

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 07:02:03 EDT 2012

> I can delete the recovery partition, as I've got the "recovery" (AKA
> factory reset) disks from HP under warranty.

Personally if you have a large enough separate drive and enough
patience. I would do a bit level copy which if successful is guaranteed
to put the disk back exactly.

#/bin/dd bs=32k if=/dev/sd? | /usr/bin/gzip > /media/usb0/hpBACKUP.dd.gz

Restore with

#/bin/cat /media/usb0/hpBACKUP.dd.gz | /usr/bin/gunzip | /bin/dd bs=32k
of=/dev/sd?

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)