[arch-general] Problem with radeon driver

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Sep 19 07:34:23 EDT 2012

Hello all,

Yesterday I wanted to update my IBM R51. Since this hadn't seen any updates
for half a year or so I decided to go for a full install, also to try out
the new install procedures.

This all went very smoothly, and there's only one remaining problem.

X11 seems to work, but

- GUI elements (e.g. buttons) remain black or some random texture.
- Xterm has problems when scrolling - lines get overprinted, or only
  some rows of pixels show up. When hitting Enter on the bottom line
  the bash prompt isn't printed, but the cursor moves to the right
  place. Same for filename completion etc.
- Similar problems all over the place.

Driver is video-ati aka radeon. No xorg.conf, and using the one
installed before makes no difference. Also added 20-radeon.conf
as explained in the wiki and modified individual options, no
improvement. No errors in Xorg.0.log.

But I found this in errors.log:

Sep 19 13:17:33 zita2 kernel: [    5.002534] [drm:radeon_agp_init] *ERROR* Unable to acquire AGP: -19

Booting via syslinux, late KMS.

Any hints ?

Ciao,

--