[arch-general] Iinstallation program

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Sep 21 08:00:58 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-21 at 18:09 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 21/09/12 18:03, Jan Litwiński wrote:
> > When will Arch have more friendly installation program like Ubuntu,
> > Fedora, or opwnSUSE. I installed Arch some years ago and it was very
> > difficult for me.
> >

> Ha ha ha...   best troll ever!

Jan, IMO the installers for Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE are still not
good. 1. For dummies they are still to complicated and 2. for those with
a little bit or much knowledge, the so called "expert options" still
don't satisfy the need to set up an individual Linux as needed.

I don't know the current Arch installer, I used
"archlinux-2011.08.19-core dual" downloaded at 07 December 2011, IIRC it
was easy to use and fit to my needs. No irrelevant software was
installed. IIRC the only drawback was that no easy to use editor shipped
with the CD. I had to use vi or vim, OTOH I wasn't aware that mcedit is
easy to use, perhaps it was installed too. However, if mcedit shouldn't
be part of the installer, I hope it will be included in the future.

If you wish X and a desktop to be installed by default, I agree that for
dummies such a media should be available too and there is such a media
available. Sorry, I don't know the link, but I'm sure somebody will post
a link.

Regards,
Ralf