[arch-general] [Bulk] Re: Can't see all my memory

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 09:48:54 EDT 2012

> I never heard that anybody solved this issue, but I read that many
> people have this issue too.
>
> On my computer there are only 3 GB + 768 MB of 4 MB available. The
> graphics has got it's own framebuffer, 256 MB, but IIRC I once have seen
> that the framebuffer is 512 MB. I guess I can see it running NVIDIA
> settings, but at the moment I can't run it, because I'm using the nv
> driver. IIRC memtest86+ did always show the complete memory on my
> machine. I don't care, since it doesn't make a difference if I got 4GB
> or 3.8GB. However, I read often about this 8GB issue, for different
> distros. And it where definitive threads about 64-bit architecture, not
> about 32-bit and PAE issues.

Yes on 64 bit systems you will see the maximum memory. On 32 bit you
need a PAE enabled kernel to get any more than 4Gig. If you have less
than 4Gig you may want to use the PAE kernel in any case because if you
have a relatively modern cpu it will support hardware Non execute
protection. On a non-PAE kernel you will see NX protection disabled or
such in dmesg.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)