[arch-general] testing/systemd 191-1 failed to boot

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sat Sep 22 10:05:39 EDT 2012

Am Sat, 22 Sep 2012 15:06:28 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> After the recent outbreaks, we have been discussing banning people
> from arch-general. At the time, the people we talked about had calmed
> down and everything went back to normal, so there was no point in
> going forward with it. However, your name just made top of the list.
>
> If I see you interrupting one more technical discussion with trolls
> and flames, you will be banned indefinitely without further notice. I
> will not see another one week flamewar on this list.

Sorry, but the flamewar was not started by me but by all of the systemd
fanboys who also infiltrated initscripts with those crappy
systemd-tools which make the boot process slower, more error-prone and
more instable, not only because of this systemd-cryptsetup and its new
syntax.

I always said, keep systemd totally optional and keep initscripts as
they have been (without this systemd(-tools) crap), and you won't have
any problems, no discussions and totally no flamewar.

So it was your decision. So don't blame me. And, btw., I was really not
the loudest one in this flamewar. And I always said that it sometimes
can be worth thinking about what I say, even if I don't always give
exact technical proof.

And you also should know that the GDR doesn't exist anymore.

Btw., I think you can imagine that I know how to get a new e-mail
address. Without wanting to be offensive. But you really should think
before threatening people. And I don't let myself being threatened.
Sorry to have to get rude now. You of all people here should know that
I'm usually not, and that one can talk to me.

If you can't live with other people's opinions it's your problem, not
mine.

> You are a grown man (at least you look like one), so you should know
> that this kind of post adds nothing to the discussion, but starts yet
> another flamewar. Start acting like a grown man and keep it to
> yourself, unless you have something to say that's worth saying.

I had and have something to say and I did that. And I did that like a
grown up. And that had not only but also technical reasons. If you think
you should ignore the people who are totally concerned about Poetterix
then you have to live with those consequences. And again, I was
definitely not the one who made the most noise.

But I and all the other people who criticized systemd have always been
asked to give technical proof without giving technical proof for
systemd's superiority. Now you really don't need to wonder that you get
corresponding comments.

> I am completely against banning people, but at this point, it is
> either banning people or shutting down this list entirely.

Then you should think at least twice about both. Both won't stop this
discussion. And think this mailing list is not the only mailing list
with such a long discussion about systemd. Why? Because it is crap,
not only in Arch Linux.

Even if you don't want to hear this, but PA and systemd are both crap.
E.g. why does a logfile need to be in an unreadable binary form so that
the logfile can only be read with an additional tool instead of just
cat, less and grep? And why does everything need to be written into one
single log file? And meanwhile I tested both, PA and systemd. And no, I
don't file bug reports for crappy software I totally don't want to have
anyway.

But don't worry. As soon as I find a systemd free Arch Linux like
alternative to Arch Linux I will switch to it. It's a pity, because
Arch Linux was actually and could still be one of the best distros
until you started switching to systemd. There's a reason why I'm using
Arch Linux for about 5 years now.

Heiko