[arch-general] Mailing list closed for 24 hours

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:28:02 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht at piing.fr> wrote:
> The 27/09/12, Tobias Frilling wrote:
>
>> IMHO the cause of all these flaming is that arch-general is too, well, general.
>
> The problem is not that arch-general is the wrong place for the latter
> threads. Users are correct to think such discussion should happen here.
>
> The problem is that maintainers, developers and advanced users want
> quality and constructive discussions. But this kind of contribution
> should happen on the archlinux-dev mailing list which is currently not
> possible because it's _closed_. The problem is that the dev list should
> be *open* to subscriptions. Trolling naturally does not happen in such
> list -- or die very fast -- because of the direct relationship of the
> discussions with the code and the maintenance jobs.
>
> Instead of fragmenting more the mailing lists with the hope of putting
> poor contributions out of place for advanced users, let enter the
> technical oriented users into the dev mailing list. Also, this would not
> let maintainers break from the constructive users with massive
> unsubscriptions from here.
>
> BTW, I find it's a shame that advanced users with technical and valid
> messages have to *fork* a thread from the dev list to the general list
> (or post a new request to the general list) with the *hope* that a
> maintainer/developer catch the reply in the other public mailing list.
> And no, I don't find requesting in private is a solution, either.
>
> The problem is not at the general mailing list but at the dev mailing
> list side.

For those users who use the arch forums via a web interface there
seems to be more helpful comments and less trolling than in the
general list - just an observation - maybe that is because the forums
are split into a number of topic specific separate forums - eg
installation, kernel, server/networking newbie etc.

--
mike c