[arch-general] The future of sysvinit in Arch: Call for Help

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Sep 27 13:03:06 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Is it possible to configure pacman to upgrade initscripts and related
> packages only from testing, but no other packages?

I don't think you can make pacman do that automatically (I think not).
What you can do is add [testing] as your last repository in
pacman.conf and install initscripts from there manually:

$ pacman -S testing/initcripts

You'll have to know when to do this though, as you won't get a
notification when a new version hits testing. (NOTE: in general, this
sort of cherry-picking from testing is discouraged as you might have
out-of-date dependencies).

What I do is to create an initscripts-git package and install that
instead (obviously this is a lot more bleeding edge than [testing]):

$ git clone git://projects.archlinux.org/initscripts.git
$ cd initscripts
$ makepkg
$ pacman -U initscripts-git-20120927-c67d598-any.pkg.tar.xz

Cheers,

Tom