[arch-general] The future of sysvinit in Arch: Call for Help

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Sep 27 17:34:33 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> A question about this: apart from changes such as those required
> to accomodate systemd or the /lib to /usr/lib migration, _what_ is
> actually involved in the day-to-day maintenance of initscripts ?
> In other words, what sort of events would mean they need to be
> modified ?

Bugs. Changes to related packages (mkinitcpio, udev, lvm, mdadm,
cryptsetup, util-linux, filesystem). You'd probably want to maintain
compat with the systemd config files (so you'd not also need to
duplicate all the documentation/wiki) so whenever they are extended
support should probably be added to initscripts (as we now use the
systemd tools this might be a rare occurrence).

In short: One would just have to make sure to avoid general bit-rot as
with any software.

-t