[arch-general] Mailing list closed for 24 hours

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 23:25:41 EDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM,  <1007380 at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> ...sometimes I want to contact the
> devs to bring something up or ask a question on it.

There's a bug tracker where you can directly contact maintainers, for
bugs/feature requests. For 'questions' I'd think that's not really the
responsibility of the maintainers/devs/TUs.

Example:-
1. Program A crashes when I do X
2. Why is this configure flag not enabled for library B?
3. The documentation-supplied config for application C doesn't run.
4. How do I set up a server using D?
5. Why was this decision made for application/library E?

1, 2, and 3 are suitable for the bug tracker (maybe more suitable for
upstream bug tracker though, in some cases). 4 should not be directed
at devs or TUs, ever. 5, depending on content, is a feature request or
a topic going nowhere (hence TGN in the forums).

I do not support the opening of arch-dev-public (its supposed to be an
announcement list) nor the creation of any other channel for devs to
be contacted. Its the community's responsibility to keep arch-general
clean enough that devs/TUs don't quit it. arch-discussion etc. would
not help simply because in general the endless topics ARE initially
technical, and most of us have a fuzzy line between technical topics
and our personal opinions on them anyway.