[arch-general] file-5.14 - change in how information is read from vmlinuz?

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 10:28:18 EDT 2013

Hi, I previously used the output from `file /boot/*` on the various
vmlinuz files in /boot/* to detect what kernels were installed on a
machine. As of file 5.14 this no longer works[1].

I'm not sure what's changed, perhaps the magic.mgc file? When I copy
the magic.mgc file from previous (5.13) version of the file package I
get the 'expected' output[2].

Not sure if this is a bug or simply a change in behaviour.

[1] - /boot/vmlinuz-linux: x86 boot sector

[2] - /boot/vmlinuz-linux: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage,
version 3.8.5-1-ARCH (tobias at T-POWA-LX) #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 29
19:18, RO-rootFS, swap_dev 0x3, Normal VGA