[arch-general] failed to mount root on raid1 after upgrade

Łukasz Michalski lm at zork.pl
Tue Apr 2 03:54:34 EDT 2013

Hi,

I am a new arch user and this is my first post on this list, so welcome
everyone :-)

29th I upgraded my system using pacman -Syu and after that my system
does not boot.

The problem is that I have root partition on software raid1 and for some
reason scripts from initramfs are not able to create /dev/md device and
mount it on /new_root.

I am using mdadm hook.

Now during booting I need to wait for "emergency shell" and mount root
partition manually this way:

# mdassemble
# mount /dev/md2 /new_root
# exit

I am using lilo as bootloader, not grub.

My revelant part of mdadm.conf looks like this:

ARRAY /dev/md2 metadata=0.90 UUID=bdfacff7:ab87d057:56b4b521:970a1f14
ARRAY /dev/md3 metadata=1.2 name=serenity:3
UUID=1c4f1323:dc8291ca:79423de8:04e93f2e
ARRAY /dev/md1 metadata=0.90 UUID=57c89626:270d4c7b:dedbdb45:3a92e6da

(md1 is swap, md2 is root, md3 is home).

Hooks that I use in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block mdadm filesystems keyboard fsck"

This is my lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/md2
    raid-extra-boot="/dev/sda,/dev/sdb"

read-only
lba32
prompt
timeout=100
default=arch

image=/boot/vmlinuz-linux
         label=arch
         root=/dev/md2
         initrd=/boot/initramfs-linux.img

image=/boot/vmlinuz-linux
         label=arch-fallback
         root=/dev/md2
         initrd=/boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img

I am not sure what hooks/mdadm is supposed to do, for me it looks like
it I have to add md=/dev/md2 to command line when booting?

I would appreciate any help to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Łukasz