[arch-general] debug package repositories

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Sun Apr 14 15:24:46 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM, William Giokas <1007380 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I would propose (and I've implemented this locally fine) is to have
> a separate series of repositories named [$repo-debug] that only contain
> the -debug packages, allowing those that don't bother with testing or
> debugging to simply not include them in their pacman.conf, but if there
> is something that they want to run valgrind or whatever on, they can
> simply enable the right [*-debug] repo for that package, and once they
> are done debugging simply remove that repo from their list along with
> the package. For really large packages, this will save people a while
> lot of time recompiling dependencies for these symbols.

Why do you suggest to use a different repository to debug packages
instead of pushing them directly to existing repositories.
Users will not suffers of having debug packages into main repositories.
I see difficulties in bandwidth needed to push package (for dev/tu)
and in storage space in all our mirror around the world.
Having a separate debug repository doesnt' address this.

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://www.seblu.net