[arch-general] XFCE broken with Gnome 3.8?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Apr 23 01:01:36 EDT 2013

On 04/22/2013 01:12 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> I picked up some Gnome package upgrades last night during a pacman
> update, and I haven't been able to log into XFCE ever since.  It gets
> most of the way through the login process, then craps out and falls back
> to the session manager (LXDM).  I'm not even able to see any debug
> information about what's going on.
>
> Anyone have a clue / pointer to a fix / workaround?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DR

OK, I was finally able to pin this down.

Apparently when I whack my XFCE session cache file
(~/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-daroselin:0) the problem goes away and
I can start up XFCE no problem.  But as soon as I save the session,
creating a new session cache file, XFCE starts to crap out at startup.

I'm not sure what in the session cache is causing the problem.  The only
slightly odd things that I'm running in my session that are getting
saved to the cache file are qps, and kalarm (which then pull in a whole
bunch of akonadi dependency crap).

Workaround for now seems to be "never save my XFCE session", which
fortunately isn't too much of a hardship for me, since I don't rely on
it too heavily.

DR