[arch-general] Gnome 3.8 and desktop background

Guillermo Leira gleira at gleira.com
Tue Apr 23 08:41:28 EDT 2013

I'm using the following script. I don't remember where I found it. I call it from a cron job.

#!/usr/bin/bash
# Script to rotate GNOME 3 wallpapers

export $(xargs -n 1 -0 echo </proc/$(pidof gnome-session)/environ | grep -Z DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=)
PICTUREDIR=/home/gleira/backgrounds/
NEWBACKGROUND="$(ls "$PICTUREDIR" | shuf -n1)"
uri=file://"$PICTUREDIR$NEWBACKGROUND"
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "$uri"
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-options "scaled"

Regards,

Guillermo