[arch-general] Upstream urls and package descriptions

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Thu Aug 1 17:02:23 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Karol Blazewicz
<karol.blazewicz at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Rodrigo Rivas
> <rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Karol Blazewicz
> > <karol.blazewicz at gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> I also found
> >> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/libreoffice-sid/ - ???
> >> language pack for LibreOffice
> >> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/libreoffice-tt/ - TT ?
> >> language pack for LibreOffice
> >>
> >> What's this?
> >>

> > I've checked it out of curiosity and it looks like TT is Tatar [1] and
> Sid
> > is Sidama [2].
> >
> > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatar_language
> > [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidama_language
>
> Yup :-)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639-3 helps decipher language codes.
>

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>
> wrote:
> > Am 01.08.2013 18:02, schrieb Karol Blazewicz:
> >> Upstream urls:
> >> I found that dozens of packages in the repos have an upstream url that
> >> prints 'Page Not Found' in one way or another. Should I open bug
> >> reports for these packages or does nobody care about it? I could also
> >> check if the source is still available. If opening bug reports is OK,
> >> should I limit creating the reports to e.g. 10 a day?
> >> If I find a url that works, I will include it as a suggestion for the
> >> maintainer.
> >
> > Creating bug reports is the way to go here.
>
> OK.
> Should I open a single report for the base package e.g.
> libreoffice-i18n and list which split packages need to be fixed or
> open a report for each split libreoffice-* package?
>
> > It actually doesn't matter
> > how many you create, the maintainers will fix them when they fix them.
>
> Sure.
> It's hard not to spam the bugtracker RSS feed since it provides only
> 10 or 15 last reports - no idea if anyone cares anyway :-)

The best way might be to follow Allan's suggestions on how to contribute to
Arch Linux.

http://allanmcrae.com/2013/05/ways-to-contribute-to-arch-linux/

His suggestion about fixing bugs on the bug tracker also applies to filing
new bugs. If you've found the issue, file a bug and provide a patch for the
solution.

Myra