[arch-general] tmpfs 100% /tmp - No space left on device

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 15 09:13:52 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-15 at 08:59 -0400, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:43:29 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi :)
> >
> > when I try to build current linux-rt I get "No space left on device",
> > resp. df shows "tmpfs 100% /tmp".
> >
> > What can I do?
> > Add "tmpfs   /tmp         tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,size=3G          0  0"
> > to /etc/fstab?
> > What should somebody do, assumed there are only 2 GB available by RAM?
>
> So, your /tmp is larger than RAM size?

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ df -h
/dev/sda9        35G   24G  9.3G  72% /
dev             1.8G     0  1.8G   0% /dev
run             1.9G 1012K  1.9G   1% /run
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           3.0G  7.2M  3.0G   1% /tmp
/dev/sdb12       48G  9.9G   35G  22% /home/music
/dev/sda11       57G   23G   32G  43% /mnt/music
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ hwinfo --memory
  Memory Size: 3 GB + 512 MB

Yes, the memory is < 4 GiB and /tmp does not have it's own mount point,
IOW it's size is 9.3G.

> If you were successfull building a kernel completely in RAM before, I'd say
> quit all unnecessary applications like KDE, firefox, etc. to free up as much
> memory as possible...

This didn't help and usually I want to use the computer when building a
kernel-rt.

> Notice, though, that if /tmp is getting full and is about the same size as RAM,
> the system will start swapping well before /tmp is filled, so you'll get no
> performance gain from building in /tmp because effectively you'll be
> compiling in the swap partition.

That's what I expected instead of an error. So it would work, if I would
give /tmp it's own mountpoint on a partition, that is smaller or equal
to the size of the memory?

Regards,
Ralf