[arch-general] python-distribute is deprecated and merged back into setuptools.

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.org
Sat Aug 17 04:03:32 EDT 2013

On 15/08/13 09:02, Øyvind Heggstad wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 18:54:47 +0700
> Shani Hadiyanto Pribadi <shanipribadi at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> python-distribute is merged back into setuptools and deprecated.
>> [1]
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2013-March/020126.html
>> [2] http://pythonhosted.org/setuptools/merge.html
>>
>> I'm not sure where to report this since the bug report is not for out
>> of date package.
>>
>> Here is the new PKGBUILD for python-setuptools-0.9.8:
>> [3] https://gist.github.com/shanipribadi/6210208
>>
>> Altough setuptools 1.0 will be out very soon (mercurial repo is
>> already at 1.0b1, pypi is still at 0.9.8)
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> I already filed a feature request for it. Nothing is happening to it
> though:  https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/36193
>
> I was going to clean up the mess in aur, but decided to wait for
> whatever response there will be to the feature request first.

Hi guys!,

First of all, thanks MrElending and Shani, i've recently released
python-setuptools package on [testing] the transition should not be so
painful, but still we need to rebuild a list of python packages pointing
them to setuptools instead of distribute. Because of that I delayed a
little bit the update because we had a lot of rebuilds pending and I
didn't wanted to have this rebuild list in the middle of the others.

Please test the package, and thanks again for the long waiting and your
support ;)

--
Angel Velasquez
Arch Linux Developer