[arch-general] Solution for issues with "green" HDDs when gvfs is installed

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Aug 21 17:06:06 EDT 2013

Hi :)

to help those who have "green" HDDs that can't keep asleep when gvfs is
installed, I replaced the dummy package for gvfs I had installed by the
real gvfs package and try to solve this issue by another method.

There absolutely in no need to install gvfs on my machine, but since
there's a "green" EU Regulation, soon or later more people will
experience that their "green" drives will spin down and up again and
again.

The assumption is that it's udisks that wakes up sleeping drives, for
gvfs seemingly configurable by /usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors/.
This assumption might be wrong.

$ systemctl status udisks
udisks.service - UDisks
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/udisks.service; disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

$ cat /usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors/udisks2.monitor
[RemoteVolumeMonitor]
Name=GProxyVolumeMonitorUDisks2
DBusName=org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor
IsNative=true
NativePriority=4

What are "IsNative" and "NativePriority" for?

I still search myself, but any hints are welcome, to disable _what ever_
wakes up such "green" drives.

Without gvfs those drives keep asleep.

Regards,
Ralf