[arch-general] changing default target to multi-user when no X - any benefit?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Dec 1 22:17:11 EST 2013

On 12/01/2013 04:14 PM, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
> To see what graphical.target is bringing up, you can run the following
> command:
>
>     $ systemctl show graphical.target --property=Wants

Ah hah, got it!

[20:19 phoinix:/etc/netctl] # systemctl show graphical.target --property=Wants
Wants=display-manager.service

  So it is behaving exactly like the old init where you were booting to runlevel
5 but have no display-manager present. All of the work on this server is being
done by the multi-user target and all the graphical target is doing is
attempting to start the dm which isn't present. So bottom line in my case, there
is no need to change the default target, graphical isn't attempting to start
anything unwanted and the missing dm just means I get dumped to multi-user anyway.

  Thanks Rodrigo, the "show graphical.target --property=Wants" helped. I found
the graphical.service file in /usr/lib/systemd/system/ that contains the

Wants=display-manager.service

  systemd is starting to make sense. There is just a lot more typing involved to
get what you want out of it ;-)

alias sc='systemctl'
alias scn='systemctl --no-pager'
alias jc='journalctl'