[arch-general] dpms in text mode worked 1st boot, now monitor blanks but won't power off

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Dec 4 10:01:15 EST 2013

On 12/04/2013 05:15 AM, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:

> Well, that certainly is a difference. The nvidia package includes the file
>  `/usr/lib/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf` that contains the line `blacklist
> nouveau`. That's necessary because if the nouveau driver is loaded first,
> then the nvidia one cannot work properly.
>
> But you are not loading X, so I'm guessing that your nvidia driver is not
> being loaded either (the kernel driver is probed by the X driver IIRC), so
> you are running with the default vesa console.
>
> You can try running `modprobe nvidia` and see if it makes a difference. If
> that's not the case, reboot and run `modprobe nouveau`.
>
> Or maybe I'm wrong and the nvidia driver is being loaded automatically. If
> that's true, you can try blacklisting it and modprobing nouveau.
>
> Best regards

Rodrigo,

  You are on to something here. The nvidia module is loaded automatically, but
there is no X running:

08:42 phoinix:/etc/clamav] # lsmod | grep nv
nvidia              10573185  0
drm                   238206  1 nvidia
i2c_core               24164  3 drm,nvidia,i2c_nforce2

[08:46 phoinix:/etc/clamav] # ps ax | grep X
 5628 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep X

  So what you are saying is that the nvidia module is causing the problem with
the console DPMS poweroff behavior?

[08:51 phoinix:/etc/clamav] # rmmod nvidia
[08:51 phoinix:/etc/clamav] # lsmod | grep nv
[08:51 phoinix:/etc/clamav] # modprobe nouveau
[08:52 phoinix:/etc/clamav] # lsmod | grep no
nouveau               904630  1
ttm                    63411  1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper         36286  1 nouveau
i2c_algo_bit            5399  1 nouveau
drm                   238206  3 ttm,drm_kms_helper,nouveau
mxm_wmi                 1475  1 nouveau
video                  11196  1 nouveau
i2c_core               24164  6
drm,drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit,adt7475,nouveau,i2c_nforce2
wmi                     8419  2 mxm_wmi,nouveau
button                  4677  1 nouveau

  That's it! Monitor powered off after 1 min. But that begs the question, why
doesn't console poweroff work with the nvidia driver? Doe the driver lack the
capability? --or-- do the same associations (ttm, drm_kms_helper, etc..) just
need to be made with the nvidia driver? If so, how?

  For now, the easiest solution is just to remove the nvidia driver and make
sure the nouveau driver is loaded on boot. However, if I decide to use the
nvidia driver in the future, then I'm back in the same boat again. So, is there
anyway to make the console poweroff work with the nvidia driver?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.