[arch-general] Patch for update-mime-info slowness

Sébastien Leblanc leblancsebas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 15:00:31 EST 2013

I am kind of annoyed by the time it takes to update the MIME database
(something like two minutes on a recent i7 quad-core laptop). Until
pacman has hooks/triggers, I have removed the calls to fdatasync
(which are supposed to ensure that the files are truly written to
disk). I prefer letting the system take care of it anyway, and I don't
care much for consistency in desktop links and file associations.

Y'know, it might bear the name "database", but it's not a database in
the sense of a +1M row postgresql database).

Anyone have an opinion on this? Am I a complete idiot in removing
these calls to fdatasync?

With this patch, updating takes around 5 seconds, haven't run it with
a stopwatch yet.

--
Sébastien Leblanc