[arch-general] Fwd: Notebook freeze and slow when copy big files to external usb

Flexo Rodriguez flexo.rodriguez at rocketmail.com
Thu Dec 5 04:44:15 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 12:33:38PM +0800, BlissSam wrote:
> 在 2013-12-4,19:08,Maykel Franco <maykeldebian at gmail.com> 写道:
>
> > Hi, I when I make a copy of a large file to a 2GB or 8GB usb 3.0
> > external hard drive, I notice that arch remains slow, frozen ... He
> > struggles to open windows are minimized. I have the kernel:
> >
> > 3.12.2-1-ARCH
> >
> > Update the whole system to the last. Can you think because it can be?
> >
> > I also went from the 3.11 kernel
> >
> > However, debian, ubuntu, opensuse me not pass this ...
> >
> > It's happened to someone else?
> >
> > Thanks for everything.
>

> I experience this as well. No matter copying to an external drive or internal HDD. I experience very terrible freeze.
>
> Last time when I was copying big files, I locked the screen on GNOME and went out. When I came back and found the copy was still in process since the LED of my HDD is flashing. I typed my password and waited nearly 3 minutes until it stopped freezing and unlocked my screen!
This isn't a) the same as described above and b) not a kernelbug. It's simply the
combination of (slow) hdd, usb and the scheduler. Processes like your gnome and
other os-stuff are sleeping while higher-priority processes come in. But the
biggest problem will be that your internal-drive + usb are blocking the bus and
while writing and reading big files the access time for other processes can be
very slow (your hdd is at max. usage rate).