[arch-general] ArchWiki: bad rendering on Android devices

Jakub Klinkovský j.l.k at gmx.com
Wed Dec 11 13:50:01 EST 2013

On 11.12.13 at  7:25, Eduardo Machado wrote:
> Em 07/12/2013 17:15, "Jakub Klinkovský" <j.l.k at gmx.com> escreveu:

> see the
> > >
> > > The indentation is fine on Firefox for Android, but it has a different
> > > problem – the menu uses too large font, so almost every menu entry
> > > spans over several lines.
> > >
> > > Lukas
> >
> > Even on wikipedia.org the text is indented from right side (when
> requested the
> > desktop version). This is pretty annoying because most wikis don't have a
> mobile
> > version. Plus on tablets the mobile version does not make sense anyway.
> >
> > This sounds like an issue with webkit then, so it boils down to whether
> it's
> > easier to fix webkit or provide a workaround for MediaWiki...
> >
> > --
> > Jakub Klinkovský (Lahwaacz)
>
> There is an Arch Wiki app at play.google.com that shows everything in
> suitable way.
>
> Note: i am not the mantainer of this app.

Thanks for the tip, I did not know about this app. I'll add a link, just for the
record: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jtmcn.archwiki.viewer

However, as an ArchWiki maintainer, I need the page rendered exactly the same as
it would be on a desktop. According to the screenshots, this app uses some
custom mobile layout optimized for small screens. Also note that mobile versions
of websites generally are mostly useless on a tablet with a (relatively) large
screen.

Jakub Klinkovský (Lahwaacz)