[arch-general] [SOLVED] HDMI Alsa sound problem from flashplayer 64 bit

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 11:55:29 EST 2013

I promised I would post when I had this hdmi sound problem resolved - after
a while spent trying to sort this out today I have now it working, and it
may be useful to list the details in case anyone else has had a similar
issue getting sound from flashplayer videos running in the chrome browser.

I installed pulseaudio along with three other packages:

# pacman -S pulseaudio paprefs pavucontrol pulseaudio-alsa

 I also noticed that I needed one of the gstreamer plugin packages that I
had inadvertently missed when I had previously installed the initial set of
packages via a simple script.

# pacman -S gstreamer0.10-good-plugins

It is possible that my failure to get things working with alsa alone may
have been due to not having this package installed before. However once the
following settings had been put in place all sound now works properly and
well:

>From the KDE desktop, In Kmix under Audio Hardware setup:
  selected: Builtin audio Sound Card, with:
  Profile - Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output + Analogue Stereo Input

 and under Device configuration selected:
 Playback (Builtin Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI)) with Connector
HDMI/Displayport.

Then under Device preference chose Builtin Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI) for
all the output types.

Sound works now on all applications including from flashplayer video with
audio within the chrome browser.

It is entirely possible that if I had installed
the gstreamer0.10-good-plugins package at the outset that there may not
have been a problem at all and therefore this may have been just as much an
issue with all sound connections.

Thank you for the replies to my original post and for suggesting that I
change from alsa to pulseaudio. The controls both in pavucontrol and the
now changed controls in kmix with pulseaudio are better than with alsa.

--
mike c