[arch-general] A question about handling a system with two wired network interfaces?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:27:59 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com>wrote:

>> I will check which of the two is enabled - but I have since my last post
> now switched on dhcpd (server) and named services - after boot the dhcpd
> service had entered a failed state and I am now wondering if I need to add
> the  systemd-udev-settle.service lines in the service file for dhcpd as
> well?

To add to the information about the named and dhcpd services - I just
double checked after posting the previous reply - and although the named
service "appears" to be running normally the dhcpd4 service is failed
immediately after boot - and the DNS lookups don't work - however after the
system is booted then doing the following in the order show gets the system
working fine.

systemctl restart dhcpd4
systemctl restart named

Once that is done then both dns and dhcp server services are operating
correctly - however I then have to log out of KDE and back in again as for
example my weather applet within the KDE desktop won't restart until I have
correctly got dhcpd4 and named restarted, and then logged out and back in.

So I guess there are timing dependency issues for these two services as
well.

I would value any advice on a work around for this so that everything is
working without manual intervention once the boot is complete. If it is any
help the boot analysis gives:

[root at home1 ~]# systemd-analyze blame
  3023ms systemd-udev-settle.service
   576ms postfix.service
   139ms systemd-remount-fs.service
   138ms NetworkManager.service
   126ms tmp.mount
   113ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
   100ms dev-hugepages.mount
    90ms systemd-udevd.service
    87ms sys-kernel-config.mount
    79ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
    77ms dev-mqueue.mount
    66ms boot-efi.mount
    63ms iptables.service
    57ms systemd-logind.service
    45ms var-spool-mail.mount
    36ms systemd-vconsole-setup.service
    35ms udisks2.service
    35ms polkit.service
    31ms opt.mount
    27ms chrony.service
    24ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
    23ms dhcpd4.service
    23ms systemd-sysctl.service
    13ms rtkit-daemon.service
     9ms systemd-user-sessions.service
     8ms upower.service
     1ms home.mount

So the dhcpd4 service is fast compared to the NetworkManager service.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
--
mike c