[arch-general] UTC

Kwpolska kwpolska at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 11:02:54 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:00 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:40:10 +0100, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>>>
>>> # timedatectl set-local-rtc 1
>>> Failed to issue method call: Input/output error
>>

>> That message is disconcerting (at least the error message should have
>> been clearer). Could you have a look in "journalctl" (as root) to see
>> if you can get more information about what went wrong?
>>
>>> Sometimes I don't get an output when running "timedatectl set-local-rtc
>>> 1".
>

> Resp. one time.
>
>> That means it succeeded.
>

> Hi Tom,
>
> I don't know how to use journalctl, to get some useful information.
>
> [snip]
>

>> If I remember correctly, one of the side effects of having your RTC in
>> localtime is that nothing will write to the RTC automatically.
>

> Correct for my new Arch Linux install.
>

>> I know you don't want to hear about the problems with localtime, but
>> to anyone else stumbling upon this: not having your RTC in UTC is
>> broken and will cause problems.
>

> It doesn't cause an issue in 10 years, but for sure using UTC usually is the
> better choice, if you don't want to have the local time for the BIOS, e.g.
> for timestamps when storing BIOS settings, that by the way are limited
> anyway.
> For personal historical reasons currently all my *NIX expect local time.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

If you really, REALLY want this:

1. make the last line of /etc/adjtime say “LOCAL”.
2. pacman -S ntp
3. Run the following script, then run it whenever you think your clock
is incorrect (as root).

#!/bin/bash
ntpdate de.pool.ntp.org
hwclock --set --date "$(date)"

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk> | GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
stop html mail                | always bottom-post