[arch-general] Bluetooth with G-Grip Bluetooth Speaker...

David McDow dmcdow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 22:45:48 EST 2013

Hello,

I travel a lot and have purchased a G-Grip Bluetooth speaker (
http://www.target.com/p/g-project-g-grip-portable-speaker-black-g-50/-/A-14269891)
 with
the intent of listening to music after I get back to the hotel and process
data (I'm a land surveyor).  I can pair with my Galaxy Nexus and the
computer (Dell D620) but there is no sound coming from the G-Grip..

I have followed the directions here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth and have not been able have
the speaker play music.  I get the following so I feel sure the devices are
communicating.

$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
00:1D:DF:59:66:4E       G-GRIP

The next step yields:

$ sudo bluez-simple-agent
Agent registered

The next step yields:

$ sudo bluez-simple-agent hci0 00:1D:DF:59:66:4E
Release
New device (/org/bluez/1094/hci0/dev_00_1D_DF_59_66_4E)

I am not sure what this means, but it appears to be positive however there
is no sound coming from the speaker.  I use Audacious on my laptop to play
music and have looked at the settings, to no avail.  I have searched (like
crazy) for a solution and have found nothing to solve this problem.

My hunch is that the speaker doesn't require a password.  The speaker
documentation for pairing says:

"BLUETOOTH OPERATION
Pair with Bluetooth* capable devices to stream stereo audio wirelessly for
music, movies, video games and apps.
PAIRING
1. In Standby mode, press the Power Button to turn G-GRIP on and begin
Bluetooth pairing (make sure that no cable is connected to the AUX Input).
The Bluetooth LED will flash blue.
2. On your Bluetooth device, select "G-GRIP" from the device list to pair
with it (*no password is required*). Once Bluetooth has paired
successfully, the Bluetooth LED on G-GRIP will turn solid blue.
3. To clear the Bluetooth memory on G-GRIP, turn G-GRIP on and hold the
Pairing Button for a few seconds" [emphasis mine]

I am at a loss and to reiterate, I can't find anything on the web to help
me solve this issue.  I would appreciate any insight to solve this problem.

Thank you,
David