[arch-general] UEFI experience - recommendations needed.

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Jan 5 15:54:05 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with such a UEFI system on this list? Apart
> from the info on the arch wiki and the install wiki info (which I have been
> reading), are systems like this reliable once installed? Does the routine
> pacman update process for kernels lead to issues requiring manual
> intervention with EFI/GPT or it is as generally reliable as BIOS/MBR?

I recently got an MacBook with which I use EFI/GPT, and it works
shockingly well.

I use gummiboot as the bootloader and partitioned my disk using gdisk.

The only gotcha worth mentioning that I can think of is that your
kernel/initramfs must
be installed on your EFI partition (which according to some sources
should be at least 512MB,
though mine is not). It is simple enough to make that work
automagically by mounting
your EFI partition on /boot (with an /boot/EFI subdirectory), rather
than having a separate
/boot partition and mounting the EFI partition on /boot/EFI.

HTH,

Tom